Richard M. Moon Primary School

History

Richard M. Moon

Richard Mason Moon, 1916 – 2004, is the namesake for whom Moon Primary School was named.  Mr. Moon moved to what is now Waterford in the late 1930’s, and was a driving force for the enrichment of the town, and educational system.  He became a teacher at Waterford Middle School for eight years, the last four of which he also served as principal.  The original building for Waterford School was built on the current site in 1907, and eventually was torn down as time and a strong earthquake took its toll.  The school was rebuilt, and classrooms began to be added.  As the town and school enrollment steadily increased, an additional school site was sought in the mid-60’s, and the property was purchased on Reinway Avenue.  The school initially was called Reinway School, and in 1976 was renamed Richard M. Moon School.

Richard Moon was superintendent in Waterford for 30 years and worked for the district from 1938-1976.  He dedicated his life to improving educational opportunities for this community, and being of service for many town projects that supported growth and opportunity.  Moon School continues to strive for the same ideals held by Mr. Moon: leadership, respect, kindness, and personal academic success for each student 

   

Richard M moon.jpg